Monday, December 14, 2009

Unplugged

Last Tuesday, I was unceremoniously dumped out of the online world. My video card died without warning. The good news was that it was still under warranty. Unfortunately, the replacement was out of stock for several days. It's really amazing how much of my time is normally taken up both working and playing on my computer. With this disruption, I had to find my fun elsewhere.

One day's worth of entertainment came from Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere which I highly recommend. I ended up reading it cover to cover in one sitting. It's the story of Richard Mayhew, a man who falls through the cracks of society quite literally due to a single act of kindness. He finds himself in London Below, the forgotten or ignored or possibly non-existent world entirely hidden from the surface Above, struggling to survive and regain his former life.

On another note, I've discovered a rather odd thing. It is much easier for me to rant at length about something bad than it is to extol something good. It's not that I have any less to say, but that I'd much rather the reader/viewer/whatever discover the joys and surprises themselves than have me spoil them. I never know how much to say since it must be enough to peak curiosity without saying too much. I probably err too much on the side of caution, but I'll let you decide for yourself when you read it.

1 comment:

  1. Agreed, Neverwhere was a lot of fun.

    You've already read American Gods (also by Gaiman) I trust? I'd also heartily recommend The Graveyard Book.

    ReplyDelete